Thursday, April 28, 2011

Film: 80's Movie Romance

I realize the 1980's may not readily come to mind as an especially 'romantic era'. But ever since this ridiculous remake attempt of "Arthur" was made (Movie Studios: Please stop making remakes of classics. I promise you, you won't do a better job and the younger generation will absolutely appreciate a better original. Stop pandering), I have found myself sharing lists of wonderful movies that emerged from the 1980's, from Dramas to Comedy. But perhaps my best memories are of the teenage romantic comedies, largely those from the late & great John Hughes, that shaped my sense of teenage romantic whimsy. Making me a mixtape or holding a boombox outside my window will absolutely win me over. It was recently summed up in a movie monologue that says it perfectly. Gentlemen, take note.

"Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want Jon Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I want to ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from 16 candles, waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me just once."

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...