Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Fashion: Lets Bring Back | Edith Head
Another ICON OF STYLE in the Huffpost's 'lets bring back series' is legendary costume designer, Edith Head. Ms. Head--aka the "Dress Doctor"--was as glamorous as the stars she dressed, and she dressed countless major Old Hollywood stars in some of their most memorable roles. If you loved Grace Kelly's iconic look in Rear Window or Audrey Hepburn's lavish wardrobe in Funny Face, one of Hollywood's ultimate fashion movies, take your hat off to Edith. The winner of eight Oscars (she was nominated for an astonishing thirty-four), Ms. Head also had a heavy appetite for glamour and absolutely heaped it on the stars of Notorious, All About Eve, and over four hundred other films. Ms. Head's snippets of advice and witticisms were as closely heeded as those attributed to Coco Chanel, and they remain relevant today:
• "You can have anything you want in life if you dress for it."
• "Life is competition; clothes gird us for the competition."
• "The cardinal sin is not being badly dressed, but wearing the right thing in the wrong place."
• "Your dresses should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to prove you're a lady."
• "Clothes not only can make the woman; they can make her several different women."
• "I say sacrifice style any day for becomingness."